Call for Applications for AGORA Online Course in English and French
Published: miércoles 15th agosto 2018 Category: News
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) in collaboration with RUFORUM will deliver an online course (in English and French) AGORA Fundamentals of Information Literacy and Access to Global Online Research in Agriculture in September 2018. The course aims to deliver knowledge about the fundamentals of information literacy competencies and develop necessary skills to access and effectively use AGORA.
The AGORA (Access to Global Online Research in Agriculture) programme, set up by the FAO together with major publishers, enables low-income countries to gain free or low cost access to an outstanding digital collection in the fields of agriculture, forestry, fisheries, climate, food security and related sciences. AGORA offers up to 10,500 key journals and 26,500 e-books providing full-text to more than 3,400 institutions in more than 115 countries. AGORA is one of the five programmes that make up Research4Life: AGORA, HINARI, OARE, ARDI and GOALI.
The Online Course on AGORA will be provided in English and French. It consists of two units and five lessons as follows:
Unit 1: Identify, Access and Use Information Resources
- Lesson 1.1: Identifying information sources
- Lesson 1.2: Using information resources
- Lesson 1.3: Citing and referencing
Unit 2: Access to Global Online Research in Agriculture (AGORA)
- Lesson 2.1: AGORA and Research4Life: Institutional framework
- Lesson 2.2: Search AGORA effectively
The course lasts for two-weeks and requires for six-hour time commitment on average per week.
At the end of the course, participants attending the course will be able to:
- Identify and evaluate information sources, develop search strategy, familiarize with search techniques;
- Understand ethical considerations in academia, gain skills in citing and referencing;
- Access and search AGORA content effectively including browsing collections, applying advanced search techniques, using discovery service and bibliometric analytical tool.
Who can apply?
The course is designed specifically to serve the needs of researchers, academics, research officers, librarians, IT specialists, other practitioners and students in agriculture and relevant fields such as forestry, fisheries, climate, food security and related sciences from:
- Research4Life eligible countries (Group A, Group B) and
- Types of eligible institutions including national universities, professional schools, *research institutes, government offices, *national libraries, agricultural extension centers and local non-governmental organizations can apply to this course.
How to register?
Please submit your application through the following online forms by 3rd of September 23:00 CET (Central European Time).
- For the course in English: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/ZSD5ZZG
- For the course in French: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/QTD787F
Deadline for applications : 3 September 2018 23:00 CET
The course will run between 10 – 21 September 2018.
At the end of the course, those submitted their end of course exam will receive a certificate of attendance. For your questions, please do not hesitate to contact AGORA Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.