Material for trainers
On this page, you will find up-to-date material for Research4Life trainers (librarians, information professionals, etc.) to use in face-to-face or online training activities.
These presentations build on the recently developed material for the Research4Life Massive Open Online Course (MOOC).
The lessons cover the essential content for the participants to develop the skills to efficiently and effectively use the five Research4Life programs (Hinari, AGORA, OARE, ARDI and GOALI). Many of the lessons are inter-disciplinary, although several are programme-specific.
The format of each lesson is a PowerPoint presentation that can be downloaded and edited. Updated versions will be released each July and December.
Module 1: Scholarly communication and Research4Life
- Lesson 1.1: Scientific landscape
- Lesson 1.2: Research assessment and bibliometrics
- Lesson 1.3: Research4Life
Module 2: Discovery and re-use of scholarly literature
- Lesson 2.1: Identifying information sources
- Lesson 2.2: Using information resources
- Lesson 2.3: Intellectual property and copyright – Ethics and plagiarism
- Lesson 2.4: Citing, reference management and collaboration tools
Module 3: Discipline-specific browsing and searching
- Lesson 3.1: Hinari: Research in Health
- Lesson 3.2: AGORA: Research in agriculture
- Lesson 3.3: OARE: Research in the Environment
- Lesson 3.4: ARDI: Research for Development and Innovation
- Lesson 3.5: GOALI: Research for Global Justice
- Lesson 3.6: Search across Research4Life programmes
- Lesson 3.7: Citation databases
Module 4: Additional discipline-specific resources
- Lesson 4.1: Health and Evidence-based medicine
- Lesson 4.2: Agriculture, forestry, fisheries, climate, food security, biological and environmental sciences
- Lesson 4.3: Environment
- Lesson 4.4. Development and innovation
- Lesson 4.5. Global justice
- Lesson 4.6. Interdisciplinary resources
Module 5: Advocate on Research4Life and facilitate capacity development
- Lesson 5.1: Research4Life Advocacy Toolkit
- Lesson 5.2: Training Your Audience on How to Use Research4Life
This material is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (CC BY-SA 4.0). The logos used in the course are exempt. This CC BY-SA 4.0 license allows trainers to modify and adapt the material for specific training purposes at the host institution to meet the group’s specific needs. By using the training material, individuals do not represent or are employed by Research4Life.
These presentations have been developed by the Information Training and Outreach Centre for Africa (ITOCA) with support from the Research4Life Capacity Development SubCommittee and funded by Research4Life and the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations.